In a hurry to find the best RV Rentals? We recommend OUTDOORSY and ADVANTAGE CARAVANS as our top RV rental Sacramento options. To jump right to the reviews, click HERE:
Editor’s Choice – Outdoorsy
RV Rental Sacramento: An RV rental guide to Cali’s Coolest City
Searching for a Sacramento RV rental company but not sure where to start? If that sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place for the ultimate guide to RV rentals Sacramento!
Sacramento is the state capital of California, but did you know it’s also the nickname capital of the United States? “The Big Tomato”. “City of Trees”. “Sac-Town” and the “City of Rivers” are just a few of the city’s many aliases.
No matter what you choose to call it, allow us to be your tour guide as we help you find the best RV rental Sacramento. We’ve spent the time researching the most trustworthy, affordable and well-respected RV rentals agencies so your rental process can be simple and stress-free.
Today we’ll take a look at our five top picks for Sacramento RV rental options:
- Advantage Caravan
- Happy Daze RV
- El Monte RV Rentals
- RV Share
Get in the cockpit. Strap in. We’re about to begin your Sac-Town journey right … about … now!
Rent an RV In Sacramento? Like … Really?
I know what you’re thinking: With so many great cities in California why the heck should I get my RV rental in Sacramento?
As the great anchorman Ron Burgundy would say:
Boasting tree-line streets, friendly locals and over 40 farmers markets, calm and cool Sacramento is a great escape from the busy urban sprawl of LA and San Fransisco. If you are a sucker for dreamy skylines the picturesque Sacramento skyline is one of the best in the world.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the best things to do in Sacramento:
Best Things to Do In Sacramento
Sacramento RV rentals are a can’t-miss proposition. With a whopping 223 parks, a hyper-local food scene and snazzy culture offerings like The Crocker Art Museum renting an RV in Sacramento beats the Louboutins off Cali’s high-cost urban cities.
Here are a few of our top picks for best things to do in Sacramento:
- With close to 40 Farmer’s Markets around the city, Sacramento earns its title of “America’s Farm-to-Fork Capital”. The Midtown Farmers’ Market and Sunday Farmers’ Market are open all year-round offering local produce and cool artisan crafts. Check out a list of markets and opening times here.
- The 15-person Sac Brew Bike makes pub crawling an adventure. Jump on a bike with up to fourteen of your closest friends and pedal to some of Sacramento’s buzziest craft breweries – including local favorite Der Biergarten.
- PacMan. Asteroids. Q-bert. If you love vintage arcade games and craft cocktails (I mean what kind of psychopath doesn’t like arcade games and drinking?) the Coin Op is your Shangri-La. Chock-full of 80s arcade games, Coin Op also offers an extensive list of draft beers and handcrafted cocktails. Grab some of their Sacramento-famous pizza and party like it 1988!
- Founded in 1885, the Crocker Art Museum is the oldest art museum west of the Mississippi River. The Crocker owns one of the State’s premier collections of Californian art, dating from the Gold Rush to the present day. Check their website for a calendar of children’s activities and interactive studio classes.
Fun Things to do with kids in Sacramento
The good news for RVing families is that Sacramento has exciting, educational and adventurous activities for kids of all ages. Here are just a few of the many kid-friendly experiences we recommend:
- Next to the American River, Effie Yeaw Nature Center has a fun, kid-friendly nature center along with hiking trails where you can spot deer, woodpeckers, and wild turkeys. After your hike, you can check out Maidu Village – a replica outdoor display of local Native American culture.
- To many, the California State Railroad Museum is the best train museum in the United States. With six buildings over three floors, the museum is home to awe-inspiring locomotives that allow visitors to relive the past. There is even the opportunity to take a ride on the Excursion Railroad – with the passenger train pulled by diesel locomotives from the Museum’s collection.
- Urban Air Adventure Park is a state-of-the-art indoor adventure park with hours of indoor activities for children of all age groups. With an indoor sky coaster, immersive virtual reality experience and a huge trampoline park, Urban Air is one of the best ways to keep the kids happy while visiting Sacramento.
Best Day trips from Sacramento
One of the best things about an RV rental in Sacramento is the city’s close proximity to some of California’s best sites. Less than a two hour drive fro Sacramento you can experience San Francisco, Napa Valley and a host of breathtaking national parks.
Here are some of the best RV day trips from Sacramento:
- If you are a wine snob (like us), the rolling hills of Napa Valley are just a snappy one-hour drive from Sacramento. The best way to explore Napa is by bike, and Napa Valley Bike Tours has long been our favorite operator. With the help of a local tour guide you can take a leisurely ride exploring the gorgeous scenery while enjoying fantastic wine-tastings along the way. Trust us, it’s one of the best and most relaxing days you will ever have.
- Just under 2 hours West of Sacramento is Muir Woods National Monument – home of the famous Redwood forest. The Redwood Trees, some of which are older than 1,000 years, grow up to 250 feet in height and are a marvel for both adults and children alike.
- Only a short 2.5 hour drive from Sacramento, Tahoe National Forest is one of the most picturesque locations in all of California. Pack a lunch and enjoy the scenic vistas, hidden waterfalls and wildflower laden meadows that will re-charge your wild spirit.
Now that we’ve explored what Sacramento has to offer, let’s take a look at what type of RVs you can expect to rent while in the City of Trees.
RV Rental Sacramento: The Two Types of Rental Agencies
You can expect two types of Sacramento RV rental companies: (1) Peer-to-Peer RV Rentals, (2) Traditional brick-and-mortal RV rental agencies. Let’s get a quick understanding of the pros and cons of each:
RV Rental Sacramento: Peer to Peer
Peer-to-peer rentals are where you rent directly from the RV owner. Just like Airbnb’s website for overnight stays, peer-to-peer rental websites like Outdoorsy and RVShare provide an easy platform to choose from hundreds of RV rentals.
Peer-to-peer sites have plenty of your traditional Class A and Class C models, but you’ll also find hundreds trailers, campers, toy haulers, sprinter vans and vintage vans to choose from.
The great part of peer-to-peer Sacramento RV rentals is that you can search on the websites for the exact make and model of motorhome you are looking for.
Peer-to-Peer RV Rentals: Pros and Cons
|Incredible variety of available vehicles||Vehicles may not always look the same as advertised|
|Variety of price points from economy ($50/night) to luxury ($500/night)||Initial contact between renter and owner can be cumbersome|
|Intuitive and easy-to-navigate rental websites||Many tag-on costs and fees can add up|
|Insurance and 24/7 roadside assistance included or offered a reasonable price||Not many options for 1-way trips|
|Flexible cancellation policies|
Traditional Sacramento RV Rental Companies
Much like a car rental company, traditional Sacramento RV rental companies are where you physically go in person to rent the RV. Sacramento RV rental companies like El Monte RV Sacramento, Advantage Caravan and Happy Daze RV have simple, easy-to-use websites to rent your RV.
The nice part about traditional RV rental companies is that you work with knowledgeable staff. As companies have reputations to uphold, you will have less last-minute “surprises” compared to peer-to-peer rentals.
A drawback to traditional Sacramento RV Rental companies is that inventory can be scarce during the high summer seasons. Most of the stock are popular Class C RV, so you may have to reserve your RV months in advance if you are looking to travel between May and September.
Traditional RV Rentals: Pros and Cons
|Large selection of standard Class C motorhomes||Typically less inventory, especially during summer months|
|Team of knowledgeable RV experts to assist with rental||Limited to mostly Class C’s|
|More personalized customer service||Rigid cancellation policies|
|Less last minute “surprises”||High deposits|
|Availability of 1-way trips|
Choosing Your Sacramento RV Rental: The Types
With so many RV rental options to choose from in Sacramento, narrowing down to just one can lead to paralysis by analysis. To help make your life a wee bit easier, let’s look at a run-down of the different RV models.
Class C Motorhome
What Is a Class C Motorhome? It’s the “classic” vehicle that most first-time RVers think about when looking to rent an RV. Driving similar to a large SUV or pickup truck, the Class C is a particularly popular choice among beginners for its ample sleeping capacity and easy navigation.
Benefits of renting a Class C Motorhome in Sacramento:
- Easier navigation than larger Class A motorhomes or travel trailers
- Safer to drive in bad weather than trailer or larger motorhomes
- Roomy cockpit design
- Lower to ground for easier entrance and exit from the vehicle
- Ample living space while the vehicle is moving
Are you a beginner looking for Sacramento RV rental? We strongly recommend that you look into renting a Class C motorhome as your entry-level RV.
Class A Motorhome
What is a Class A Motorhome? Class A motorhomes are the largest and most luxurious of the RV Rentals in Sacramento. Longer and roomier than Class C’s, the Class A is equipped with plenty of storage space and high-end luxury features such as full-size kitchens, residential furniture and even home theaters.
The bus-like Class A’s, which can measure up to 45 feet in length, are good a good option for older couples or small families who don’t want to leave the comforts of home behind.
On the negative side, Class A’s get abominable fuel mileage – you can expect only 8-10 miles per gallon. If you are looking for something a bit more fuel efficient, check out a Sacramento Diesel Pusher rental. Diesel Pushers are Class A motorhomes powered by a diesel engine mounted in the rear of the RV. They require less maintenance and provide far greater gas mileage than a standard Class A.
Benefits of renting a Class A Motorhome in Sacramento:
- Impressive look and design
- Luxurious amenities that will remind you of home
- Ample storage space
- Smooth ride quality
Class B Motorhomes (Camper Vans)
What is a Class B Motorhome? Nimble and more fuel-efficient than Class A or C motorhomes, Campervans are self-contained vans that typically sleep up to 2. Equipped with beds, pantries and even small showers, campers vans have experienced a recent surge in popularity as a compact and affordable option for singles or couples who don’t mind sharing tight quarters.
Benefits of a Sacramento Campervan Rental:
- Highly affordable
- Easy to drive and park
- Low maintenance
- More stylish feel and look compared to RV
What Is a Travel Trailer? Travel Trailers are non-motorized vehicles on wheels that are towed behind a car, SUV or truck. Due to their affordable price, large living space and low maintenance, travel trailers are the most popular type of RV in the United States in Canada.
Travel trailers don’t have a motor but are towed by a “hitch” secured to the towing vehicle’s frame. Think of a travel trailer as a mobile home you can tow across the country.
Sacramento travel trailers come in all different shapes and sizes, ranging from the garage-like toy hauler to the spacious and luxurious 5th wheel. While travel trailers make great long-term family investments, in our opinion they are not the best choice for beginners or those looking for a short-term rental.
- Highly affordable;
- Room to sleep 6-10 people;
- Home-like amenities (electricity, refrigeration, furniture, stove)
- Can un-hitch at the campsite and head into town in car
Now that we’ve covered all there is to know about RV rental Sacramento, it’s time to reveal our top choices:
RV Rentals Sacramento (Review): Our Top Choices
Editor’s Choice Top RV Rental Sacramento – OUTDOORSY
With a selection of over 300 Class C’s, Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels, Outdoorsy’s attractive combination of selection, price and customer service make it our top choice in Sacramento. The easy-to-navigate website and straightforward booking process make the rental process seamless from start to finish. In addition to a wide selection of RVs, many Outdoorsy owners offer convenient straight-to-your-door delivery for a small fee. Renters are provided $1 million liability insurance protection program embedded in the cost of the rental (approximately $40-$50 per day) as well as optional 24/7 Roadside Assistance for a fee. Flexible cancellation policies means you don’t have to break the bank if there is a change in plans.
Editor’s Choice – ADVANTAGE CARAVANS
Offering an affordable selection of Class C’s and Travel Trailers, Advantage Caravans is a top choice for traditional RV rental in Sacramento. All rentals come with access to a 24/7 RV technician access as well as flexible pickup and drop-off options. Starting at a very affordable daily rental rate of $100 for motorhomes, Advantage offers huge discounts of up to 25% for rentals longer than a month.
Your first 100 miles a day are free of charge after which there is a $0.25/mile charge (for Class A/B/C RVs). Advantage has a $100 reservation fee and $500 security deposit with each rental and offer a reasonable $25 a day insurance option. Cancellations simply forfeit the $100 reservation fee. As an added bonus, Advantage can help equip your RV with accessories such as Bikes, BBQ grills and generators upon request.
Offering over 1,600 drivable and towable RVs to choose from, RVShare is home to some of the largest selection of peer-to-peer rental inventory in Sacramento. RV rentals come with great add on offerings including vehicle drop-off, comprehensive insurance, 24/7 roadside assistance and emergency supply delivery. RV Share Customer service is improving, but not always consistent. There are three tiers of cancellation (Flexible, Standard and Strict) with a full refund for any cancellations given 30 days prior notice – not including a one-time $99 cancellation processing fee.
EL MONTE RVs
While El Monte RV Rentals maintains a relatively small selection of Class C and Class A RVs (<10), they offer quality vehicles and a convenient rental process. With locations nationwide, it’s convenient to plan a one-way rental where you can pick up in Sacramento and drop off at another El Monte across the country.
To secure a rental, you must put down a (refundable) $1,000 security deposit hold on a major credit card. El Monte has a very flexible cancellation policy allowing renters to cancel up to a week in advance without losing any money. A major perk is El Monte’s no-charge policy for generator use.
El Monte garners mostly positive reviews, however, a number of customers note that the RV selection can feel a bit “dated”.
HAPPY DAZE RV
Carrying a rental inventory of four high-end Class C’s, Happy Daze RV is small, but popular Sacramento rental location. All rentals have a three-night minimum, but peak season and events require a five-night minimum. Renters are required to put down a $200 deposit to secure the RV, and then a refundable $1,000 security deposit at the time of pick up.
Renters are expected to clean and dump the RV prior to drop-off, however Happy Daze RVs offers a $199 No Hassle Return option in which they clean the unit and dump holding tasks. Cancellations incur a flat $50 fee, and a forfeiture of the $200 deposit if canceled fewer than 30 days before departure. Generator use is $3/hour, but they offer propane, hoses and chemicals at no charge.
Customer service can be hit-or-miss, with many customers reporting helpful and knowledgeable staff, however some past customers report that staff can be less-than-friendly.
The Final Word
Sacramento – the town of 1,000 nicknames. Maybe it’s time to add “RV Capital of Cali” to the list. With an abundance of great RV rental options to choose from, you really can’t go wrong with your Sacramento RV rental.
To recap our top picks:
Outdoorsy is our top choice for a huge selection of hundreds of high-quality RVs;
Advantage Caravans is our top pick for affordability and great customer service.
Whatever you choose, we hope you your next RV journey is the best one yet.